Produce Less Waste - Environmentally Conscious - Recycle & Reuse - Sustainable Living - Food Education - Health

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Eating Animals

The latest book I just finished reading was Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I've watched several movies and read a few books on our food system and how animals are raised, killed, and processed. However, this book has made a bigger impact than everything else to date. Enough that I have changed my opinions and consumption of meat and fish.

This book provided various information about the food production process in American. A few of the main points that stuck out for me was the condition animals are raised in factory farms, the ecological effects of commercial fishing, and the killing process in many slaughter houses.

A great aspect about this book is that while I read it, I felt like Foer was providing the reader with the information to make their own choice about eating meat. He understands that giving up meat and seafood may not be the ideal solution for everyone. He provides awareness of the issues that are present in the current system and uses the term, "Selective Omnivore". This is choosing to to eat meat from animals that were raised naturally and humanly.

I would recommend this book to those who want to learn more about where their food comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment