Produce Less Waste - Environmentally Conscious - Recycle & Reuse - Sustainable Living - Food Education - Health

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baking Food from Scratch

Baking from scratch has slowly become one of my favorite things to do. Dan and I agree that the food  from scratch tastes so much better than the products from the store. The food is fresh, doesn't have preservatives or extra chemicals, and I'll admit I feel an internal pride after making a recipe. I feel amazed every time my product is finished. I always think, "Wow! I just made that!" I will also admit that not everything looks perfect the first time I make it. Or even the second time. But it takes practice to learn everything. I'm happy as long as it tastes good!

I've regularly started making the following foods: various types of bread, bagels, tortillas, pizza dough, any baked treats like cookies and brownies, granola bars, and Alfredo sauce. I also don't find any of these foods that timely to make. Bread seems like it would take a long time to make, but in reality you actually spend more time waiting for the bread to rise than you do prepping it. You can mix in other chores or activities during rise or baking times. That's what I like to do.

I have an ever-growing list of foods I want to start making from scratch. I need to start writing these items down because I'm always forgetting the next thing I want to try.  Just a few things I want to try are salsa, ricotta cheese, butter, and pasta. I'll be posting some cooking and baking posts in the future.

By the way, another incentive to make things at home is how great your house smells! I'm always so anxious waiting for the foods to finish cooking or baking. I want to taste everything as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment